May is nearly on us, and it's time to begin preparing for our final debates of the academic year. These debates will be held as follows:
We hope to see you all there!
Here are the draft motions. Please review them with your squadmates and advisors (if necessary), then see the instructions below.
This House believes that:
1. stricter measures should be taken to control/reduce the importation of foreign material culture and practices.
2. the importation of foreign material cultures and practices compromises Emirati national identity.
3. intra-family or "cousin" marriage should be discouraged/outlawed.
4. Emirati men should be required to marry Emirati women as only or first spouse.
5. rights of citizenship should be transmitted through mothers as well as fathers.
6. permanent residency/citizenship should be extended to expatriate workers after a 10-year probation period.
Women in Society
7. the law prohibiting the veil in the workplace should be repealed.
8. the law prohibiting the veil in the workplace should be extended to include all public institutions, including government offices, educational institutions, and airports.
Rank the motions in order of preference. Indicate with an O or a P if your squad prefers to be the proposition or the opposition.
Please follow this format in your email:
Re: May Debates, Squad 1
Here are our preferences:
You have until Tuesday, April 28 at midnight to submit your results (one email per squad), at which time Dr. Penny will make motion and position assignments.
Thanks, and happy deliberating!